Slow Cooker Spaghetti Bolognese
Feeling something a little bit fancy this week with minimal effort? Turn the weekly Spag Bol into a gourmet meal in a few simple, easy steps with our Slow Cooker Spaghetti Bolognese recipe.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced (or 1 tablespoon minced garlic)
- 1 kg beef mince
- 125 ml red wine
- 2 cans of crushed tomatoes
- 250 ml beef stock
- 6 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 1 tablespoon stock powder or crushed beef bouillon
- 2-3 teaspoons salt adjust to your tastes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano (or 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, finely chopped)
- 2 teaspoons dried basil (or 2 teaspoons fresh basil, finely chopped)
- Cracked pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley (for garnish)
- 500g pasta (your choice; Spaghetti, Penne, Shells)
Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Brown onion and garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
Add beef, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon and cook until just beginning to brown (about 2-3 minutes). Transfer to slow cooker.
In the pan, pour in the wine while scraping any bits of the fried meat from the pan. Bring to a gentle simmer and transfer to the slow cooker bowl.
To the slow cooker bowl, add in all other ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours, or high for 3-4 hours. Add in the chopped parsley before serving.
In the last 15 minutes of cooking time, boil pasta in salted water following packet instructions.
Serve with parmesan cheese and (extra) chopped parsley, if desired.